Pages

Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Big Change or How Laura Gets Her Groove Back

Turning the big 3.0. soon, which has prompted me to evaluate my life and the different phases I've gone through so far. I've done a lot the last few years to try and get closer to my dream writing job, but I didn't feel I had gone far enough. So, I made a big decision just over a month ago, which has come into force this week.

I quit my job in order to dedicate my days to writing.

I'm not mad enough to think that after 1 month of writing full time I'll have a career in place and enough money to pay the rent. No - I just want a good, solid month or two to build up my portfolio, then I'll hopefully work as a freelance web writer, AV producer, script reader or suchlike.

For the last few years I've worked and written/studied, and for the most part it's been great, if a bit stressful. However, I have never had a chunk of time JUST writing, and the more I thought about it the more I wanted it.

Hopefully it will go well, and I'll blog regularly. My main aims are to write a feature film screenplay, either another feature or a feature-length TV pilot, and as many short stories as I can. I also aim to lead a calm and happy life, dance with squirrels in the botanics, and drink my own bodyweight in soy lattes at nearby cafes.

Wish me luck.