Pages

Friday, September 14, 2007

Last Day

Yep, final day of the MA. This is officially the last day of term, the due date of our final assignment, and the end of an era, really.

We have a panel presentation to go to at University this afternoon, which should be good. Staff members of the Screen Academy will be there, as well as 3 industry people as panel members. We've got to talk about our aspirations, current projects etc, and (theoretically) they will give us some advice on what to do in the next 6 months.

I really hope I get something out of this. I've had this strange feeling the last couple of weeks - ever since I handed in my feature. I've loved being back at University so much: I've met some wonderful people, been given confidence in my creativity and have pushed myself further than I have since high school. At the moment, though, I'm feeling very sad about it all coming to an end. I feel completely uncertain what to do with myself for the next year. I just want to write. I want to write anything and everything. At least I know that for sure now. It's just strange going into such a competitive industry, knowing how unlikely it is that I'll get a job, knowing how many great people I'm competing with - and knowing some of them personally.

When I did my first degree, getting a job after University didn't seem such a big deal. I had a maths and computing degree under my belt, and there are jobs aplenty if you have that. But I don't want to fall back on these old skills, I don't want to be an administrator or manager again, I want to be creative, I want to make people happy with my words, and I want to actually make a living doing something that makes ME happy too, and doesn't just pay the bills.


Time will tell. Wish me luck for this afternoon - panels make me nervous.