Pages

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Contemplating the summer

I'm feeling odd at the moment. I think it's because the final stretch of the MA lies in front of me, rather enticing but scary nonetheless. I have 3 months to conceive of and write my feature, which would be plenty of time if I wasn't working too. I haven't come up with a synopsis of any kind yet, although I'm clear on the characters, genre, setting and basic plot elements, so it should be alright when I actually force myself to write it.

We went to see Mahabharata at the Edinburgh Festival Theatre on Tuesday, which was really good and quite unlike anything I'd seen at the theatre before. It was a musical and (Kathak) dance interpretation of the epic poem of ancient India, and was quite a visual treat. Stunning colours, really interesting choreography and a fascinating blend of languages on stage. I found the style of it quite different, as there was a lot of talking to the audience and static positions being held on stage. Some people were in poses for up to 10 minutes without moving, while movement went on around them. Worth seeing, if you get the chance.

I can't believe I left Doctor Who from my list yesterday. How very strange. But you know, I don't think I'd take anything off to put that on. Maybe Red Dwarf, but then when I was a teenager RD was my favourite programme, so maybe not. I think its because it was off the television for most of my life, so it wasn't something I was seeing on television and getting excited about for a long time. I would rate it as one of my favourite things on television now, but to be honest I haven't seen any episode that was "before my time", as it were, and I haven't seen repeats of any of the Doctor's I really remember. Sylvester McCoy was "my" Doctor. I remember thinking Ace was so cool with all her badges...

Anyway, I must start thinking about the summer project. I must.